SC Bare Fiber Optic Adapter Enable Quick and Easy Temporary Connections
Bare fiber adaptors provide a simple and effective way to use unterminated fibers with commercial receptacles. Simply strip, clean and cleave your fiber and insert into the bare fiber adaptor. They are recommended for power meter connections, temporary system repairs or wherever a quick fiber connection is required.
Bare Fiber Adapters are used as a medium to connect bare fiber to your fiber optics equipment. These adapters were designed with speed in mind, and are traditionally used for power meter hookups, temporary repairs, or quick fiber connections. These come with a low insertion loss and high quality polish.
The Bare Fiber Adapters enable quick and easy temporary connections of single-mode and multimode fibers.
- Temporary connections for multimode and single-mode fibers
- FC, SC, SMA and ST connectors available for multimode fibers
- FC, SC and ST connectors available for single-mode fibers
- Can accommodate fiber buffers with up to 900um size
- Connect Fibers Quickly to your Important Equipment
- These adapters are very useful for connecting fibers to power meters, optical time-domain reflectometers (OTDRs) and a variety of other instruments, enabling in-situ functional testing without having to attach a permanent connector.
- Great Precision up to 900 µm Fiber
- The bare fiber is secured in place with a special precision cut foam pad to ensure kink and diffusion free operation, and repeatable measurements. Fibers with buffer sizes of up to 900 µm can be accommodated.
- Single-mode and Multimode Adapter Kits are also Available
- These kits contain a single adapter body, FC, SC, and ST interchangeable connector tips, a universal mating sleeve for quick ferrule-to-ferrule connections and a fiber stop to ensure that bare cleaved fibers are flush with the front of the connector ferrule. Piano wires for cleaning blocked ferrules are included with all adapters.
- Briefly connect to Light Sources, Power Meters, OTDRs, Extinction Ratio Meters, and a variety of other equipment for testing and measurement
- Test unterminated fiber and fiber spools
- Installation and repair work
- If you are using the bare fiber adaptor with unjacketed fiber, proceed to step. If you are using cabled fibers, strip at least 3 inches of the cable’s outer jacket and cut away the exposed strength members (usually Kevlar fibers near the stripped edge).
- Strip a sufficient amount of the buffer to allow for fiber insertion. The length of buffer stripped should be approximately 15 mm to 20 mm.
- Clean the exposed cladding with acetone and/or isopropyl alcohol (reagent grade).
- a. Magnetic clamp: Flip open the magnetic clamp. Push the stripped fiber through until the buffer stops the fiber. At this point flip shut the magnetic clamp to hold the fiber in place.
- b. Spring clamp: Depress the spring-loaded buffer clamping mechanism and insert the stripped fiber into the acceptance hole. Push the stripped fiber through until the buffer stops the fiber. At this point release the buffer clamping mechanism, to hold the fiber in place.
- Use a cleaving pen to gently score the fiber as close to the ferrule end as possible. (See Figure 2) Note: If the fiber breaks during the scoring process, it means that the score was too deep, which will result in a poor fiber end face and high losses.
- Pull the scored fiber directly up. The scored fiber should separate cleanly at the score point. Note: Always pull the fiber directly up. Failure to do so will result in a poor fiber end face and high losses.
- Inspect the end face with an eye loupe and if necessary, adjust the fiber until it is flush.
- The fiber is now ready for use. Insert the adaptor into the optical test equipment’s receptacle.
Bare Fiber Optic Adapter, Bare Optical Fiber Adapter